Thursday, December 30, 2010

Meet our newest furry family members!



The first day we had them at home...




Oops! I did it again...I brought home 2 new animal friends; furball friends, to be exact!

After we lost Shadow, I toyed with the idea of possibly bringing home another cat to give a loving home to :) A friend of mine had found a mommy cat and her kittens living in her backyard, up in Draper, and was trying to find homes for them. She's like me, she couldn't stand the thought of just handing over to a place that would eventually euthanize them if they didn't find homes for them right away, so she took on the task of trying to find people willing to take 1 or 2...and I tried helping her by spreading the word, too.

The interesting thing about this whole situation is that they showed up at her place around the time that Shadow had gone missing, then conifrming that she had passed on, meanwhile having Maizy missing intermittently at the same time, SO I thought it might be working out as it was because this is the cycle of life and there are so many homeless pets that need a new home, this was the right timing to take on another family pet. To top it all off, these kitties my friend was trying to find homes for, looked almost exactly like Shadow~ a bluish/grey coloring with some tabby stripes (Shadow didn't have the stripes), but you get the point.

I knew Jason wouldn't be thrilled with the idea of bringing home another animal, he had told me he didn't want anymore, it was too hard when we lost them. I understood where he was coming from but I also felt like if we could, we should give another deserving animal a warm place to live, food to eat, and love! The more I contemplated it, though, the more I thought that maybe getting another cat that looked almost identical to Shadow might actually have the reversed effect of what I had been originally thinking would happen. Maybe it would help us heal to have another cat that looked like Shadow, OR, maybe it would make things even MORE difficult for us emotionally. I didn't have a strong feeling that I needed to bring one of my friends' foster cats into our family, so I just let it go at that point.

Fast forward maybe a week: my mom calls me and tells me that her neighbor's cat had some kittens and that they are the CUTEST little things she'd ever seen, litte furballs, they are! Really?? Isn't that what mom's always say when they want you to go along with THEIR idea or like what they like, or...you get the point :) Anyway, I said, oh really? And that, well, if I was ever in the area I would possibly take a look at one and see how CUTE they really were. But I knew how Jason felt about the matter and didn't think I needed to fill him in on this little 'trip' I might take one day to go and spy some cute, little, furball kittens. So I didn't make an effort to go see them, I just figured if it so happened I ended up there for a visit, then so be it :)

Naturally, I ended up at my mom's one evening and thought, oh yeah...let's go take a look at those little kittens your neighbor has...so we went over there and they took us into the garage and there they were, 4 little literal furball kittens! They WERE so dang cute, my mom was right afterall! LOL...Oh great, I thought, but how would I justify bringing one home and then attempting to keep it a secret without it being made known to everyone else? Not very long, obviously :) There was one I seemed to like over the others, as it seemed more friendly and feisty and I picked it up and it just layed there on its back and let me hold it...when I put it down it started swiping at me and trying to bite at my fingers...I didn't mind that, I've had cats my whole life so I actually appreciated a playful, frisky kitten. BUT, I knew I had better go home and sleep on it for a couple of days, just to make sure I was making the right decision...because I definitely wanted to take it home with me at that point!

Over the next couple of days I kept seeing it's cute little face in front of me and I just seemed to get the feeling that it was the right thing to do, to go back and take it home and give it a good life with us now. I called my mom and told her I had decided to bring one home. Jason would eventually get used to it and it would be good for the boys to learn how to be gentle and gain a little responsibility along the way. So then what does a good mom do? She suggests you bring home TWO of them together!! Um, TWO? I don't think so...I mean, bringing ONE home to Jason is going to be a bit of a challenge, but TWO?!?

But a good mom knows how to productively argue a good point, and in the end, we ended up taking home TWO siblings. My mom insisted that it will end up being better for the kittens AND for us, because they will have eachother and won't be so lonely adjusting to their new surroundings.

So the boys helped name them and we decided on LUCY and CHARLIE...Charlie was initially Carly, but she just seemed to be more of a 'Charlie' from then on.

So now we have a total of 4 cats~ Zoey and Maizy live in the garage in their little homes when it's not cold, and down in our unfinished basement in the wintertime.

The kittens live in our laundry room, but spend the day out and about in our house~ our boys love to play with them and they are so sweet and cuddly, I love having them around.

So there is the circle of life~ our pets, our beloved furry family members are going to die and go onto their next phase in life; it's inevitable. But that is also the best time to open up our hearts and let another pet into our lives whom we can love and in return, will love us.

Lucy on the left, Charlie on the right.



Lucy the Lion!



Charlie Chow!



Silly kitties!





Charlie walkin' the catwalk :)

No comments:

Post a Comment