It had been raining for a while and for some reason I decided to look out the window of my bedroom, as I often do...I spotted something on the branch of our little apple tree, delicate in it's own sense, at the mercy of mother nature, as well. It looked as if it were a butterfly, but surely a butterfly wouldn't be out in this heavy rain. I put on my parka and went out to see just what was perched on that branch. It was a butterfly, a beautiful butterfly which seemed to resemble a monarch in its shape, but with yellow patterns instead of the common orange.
I marveled at its beauty and couldn't help but wonder why it would be out in the rain instead of finding some sort of shelter; I mean, afterall it's wings are so delicate that one must avoid rubbing them for the certain demise of this magnificent specimen. Upon closer observation I noticed it's left wing seemed to have been damaged, a piece actually missing from it's lower area. No wonder it was sitting on that branch for dear life, it couldn't fly to save it's own life! How tragic, I thought. Of course, I had to wonder what could have happened and then to realize that this beautiful creature's lifespan would be cut shorter, perhaps more-so, from it's damaged wing. Of course I couldn't just let it perch there and drown in the rain, I figure I saw it at the moment I did so I could do something to help it, however short-lived my help might become to it's survival.
At first I took a few close-up photographs, I mean, how cool that I was able to be so close-up to study it's features and marvel at its grace. Eventually I held my finger out to it and coaxed it onto my finger. It must have known my intentions for it showed no fear of me or need to get away. I held it there and talked softly to it so it would know I would do my best to help it as best I could.
I walked over to our raspberry bush which had great foliage which would give it the shelter it needed to survive the cold, heavy rain. I figured it needed some energy as it probably hadn't eaten anything given the condition of its wing, so I went to find some flowers from my yard that were in bloom. I figured I could hold the flower up to its mouth and it could possibly drink in the nectar from there. It took a few tries, but eventually it extended it's long ribbon-like tongue into the center of the flower, and hopefully got some of it's sugary energy. That was such a neat thing to see so up close!
As nightfall was approaching I figured it would need something to cover it and keep it dry as it continued raining. I decided the best thing to cover but to not cause the butterfly to be crushed would be tissue paper~ yep, tissue paper of all things! I poked the raspberry bush through the tissue at various spots to create a tent-like structure and it worked perfectly!
The next day I went to check on it and the sweet little thing was still there. Eventually the rain tapered off and I removed the tissue from the bush. I knew there wasn't much else I could do for this little friend of mine, I knew that it probably wouldn't survive much longer given it's wing. A couple of times it tried to take flight but would fall to the ground. Amazing how everything works right when it is in working condition, but as soon as damage is done or something breaks, it's never quite as strong, never quite the same again. Just like our bodies, we can mend or fix the broken parts but will never be the way they were, the perfect way we were made initially by our Creator, our God. I always marvel at the perfectness of a baby, and realize how blessed I am to have the healthy and 'perfect' to me, children, compared to those who may not be so lucky to be born with a normal earthly body. Makes me so grateful for Christ's atonement and death and resurrection to know that even those who weren't born into perfect bodies, through Him, will someday have the chance to be made whole again...just like my little butterfly friend :)
Eventually this little butterfly must have flown off, to where I know not, if it was able to survive with that damaged wing, I'll never know. I just know that no matter how great or small, how insignificant something or someone might seem, who am I to think that if I am presented with the opportunity to help, denies them my help? We are all connected through the spiritual aspect of everything around us, that everything was created in spirit before it was granted a body, and I love being reminded of that and feel that connectedness that I am able to feel through situations just like this, and I thank God for the quiet way in which he helps me see.
No comments:
Post a Comment