Thursday, December 29, 2011

Christmas @Temple Square

So every year we have a tradition of going to see the lights downtown in Salt Lake City @Temple Square. For those of you who don't know what I'm referring to, it's basically a square of wall surrounding the beautiful Latter-day Saint temple and its grounds. They deck it out in the most ornately displayed Christmas light display you have ever seen, its absolutely GORGEOUS!!

We first went out to dinner at the Olive Garden, compliments of the reporters at Jason's work~ but it was also a quick hour-long wait, so we decided to take a drive to pass the time and decided to go up past the state capitol of Utah (modeled after a very famous building in D.C.)
We made it to the top of the hill overlooking Salt Lake valley, overlooking the west side of Salt Lake with the Great Salt Lake in the background...
Man, was it COLD!! So cold my almost-teenager refused to get out of the car, so he's the only one missing here. We took my niece with us this time and I think she really enjoyed it, even if we are a crazy bunch of nuts :)
We finally made it into the restaurant to eat and here is a picture of Jason, myself, our 5 boys, and my one lovely niece :) I look hideous in this one, but couldn't get myself to crop me out of it, as I am the mommy afterall!
Bellies full, ready in the car to go and see the lights!
But first stop, hot chocolate!! Every year we make a stop at this cute little corner market, Neighbors Market. We all get a hot chocolate to sip on and keep us warm while we're outside in the crisp, winter air. Hot-chocolately goodness!!
I thought this apartment building on the right was cute how quaint it looked with the holday decorations and lights on it...too bad my dumb camera messed it up!

Here are some beautiful shots I attempted to take with my POS camera :)
Inside the Joseph Smith Memorial Bldg, otherwise known as Hotel Utah
Yes, this is a tree with lights on pretty much every possible branch!

In going through my pictures, I can't help but have a love/hate relationship with my camera!! Love because it captured those precious moments with my family and to that I am grateful. HATE, because it takes such crappy resolutions based on the surrounding lights or anything else that might mess with its functions, I REALLY need a new camera STAT!! So unfortunately in most of these photos they are blurry and you wouldn't be able to make out who's head is who's and what not~ good thing I know, but at any rate, enjoy the beautiful lights and scenery that's accomanying our "shadows" :)

In the shadows of the beautiful temple...
And then what they really looked like when the lights went on ;)
Me 'n Jason's shadow :)
Inside the old tabernacle building...I can't believe this is where the LDS general conference was held, it is sooo tiny compared to the new one north of Temple Square!
The Christus statue in the north visitors center at temple square...beautiful, glowing white light!
This is a miniature model of the LDS temple inside that they had on display in the south visitor's center...I love the miniature details of everything!
The Assembly Hall on the grounds of temple square, love the architecture on this building! It's used for free music concerts and such on the weekends and as an overflow when the LDS general conference is going on.
Nativity at Temple Square
Had a wonderful time looking at the lights, our Christmas season just isn't complete without it...till next year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment