We celebrated my young-at-heart momma's birthday which is March 28th...I wanted to make it somewhat special for her so I decided to take the time and use my professional cake decorating kit my auntie Koo had given me years back...and I just now decided to take it out and give it a whirl!
I don't know if I was scared to use it, or just plain lazy, or I never seemed to have the time to figure it out; maybe a little of all three?
Anyway, I've just used those cake mate cake decorator tips you attach to the frosting tube if I wanted to write or add something to a cake, but WOW~ this Wilton professional cake decorating kit, literally takes the cake on decorating!! It was wonderful to be able to add the small details I wanted that you just can't get with that cake mate crap.

I know the biggest rave right now is the fondant everbody seems to be using to make their daring, creative, amazing cakes.

I just haven't given in to that dark side yet...you see, I'm a bit of a rebel and when something becomes all the rave and everybody's doing it, I have a hard time giving in and jumping on board to the next biggest thing...I like to be an original, and while decorating a cake sure isn't originial, I guess I like to use my talents of cake decorating without the perfectly neat, cut edges fondant can give to the look of a cake...there's just something more natural about decorating a cake with frosting vs. fondant, but you definitely get 2 totally different looks from the two decorating mediums. I know if I did get to know how to work with fondant, I would be amazing...maybe too amazing for my own good and I don't have time to be over-the-top amazing right now, LOL!!
Who knows, maybe one day I will give in to the dark side of decorating with fondant, but for now, my freelance maneuvering of my frosting bag and my spatula are all I am willing to give my limited time to :)
So here is the finished product!
Definitely not 'professional grade', but I'm happy...and I think my mom was pretty darn happy that I took the time to decorate it extra-special for her ;) But how could I not? She has sacrificed and put up with so much crap from me and my siblings, I wish I could financially do more for her, but a cake would have to do, haha!
Gramma with our boys, she's feelin' the love (and crying as usual)!!
No comments:
Post a Comment