Sunday, July 10, 2011

Garden bounty

So it was exciting to pick our first harvest of "easter egg" radishes. They grow well in cooler weather, and we had an extended cooler weather season here, so they were super-easy to grow. They are called "easter egg" for their variety of colors. I basically grew them because I've never grown rashishes; I'm not particularly fond of radishes, but nothing beats that garden-fresh taste and quality you get from raising your own veggies! My boys actually liked them and ate them all up!

Then we were able to harvest some broccoli and spinach, both great veggies that thrive in cooler weather...kinda sucks with the spinach, though, because once the hot weather sets in, it quickly turns to seed and gone are the wonderful sprigs of fresh spinach to eat :( I hope to one day have a kind of greenhouse so I can grown veggies when they're out of season.

Here are some from the harvest later in the season, in September...we did manage to get 3 pears from our fruit tree that I planted last year so I was surprised to see that it actually produced fruit for us so soon, so that was an unexpected delight! We would have had more, but Payton couldn't help himself from yanking off the little oblong fruits that were growing from the branches :)

Aside from our harvest, we've had a lot of bugs this year; it really sucks!! I'm trying to do an organic garden as much as possible, but we've been inundated this year! I thought that by getting our fence up would help keep the bugs from finding them, but they never seem to have a problem finding them, grrr...

No comments:

Post a Comment