Sunday, November 20, 2011

Football season


So this was the year that we decided to allow Jaeden to play tackle football. He's been patiently waiting for this day~ it all began 3 years ago when he was in 3rd grade and we were all ready to sign him up, but decided it was better to let him grow and get stronger for a couple more years. So 6th grade was the magic number and it came up way too quick for me! I can't say I was thrilled for him to start as I just see football as something I'd rather watch being played, on tv than have my own son play something that just seems so physically dangerous!! But its one of those arguments I just can't win as Jason would never let me talk him out of it and Jaeden is just way too good NOT to play~ so its been a total catch-22. I was nervous and both excited to see how he was going to play! The team started back in August with practices/conditioning and it was 5 days a week, which I totally hated!! As soon as school started it was down to 3 days a week, which I could handle; but it still interferred with normal life so needless to say, I couldn't WAIT until the season was over, ugh!! Jaeden played awesome...of course he had his off-games where he made mistakes, but all-in-all, I was delightfully surprised to see what a great ballplayer he really is.

Jaeden isn't the biggest kid, and that part concerned me about him playing football, but he totally shined out on the field...that's where he's most comfortable. He told me that with baseball, he said he felt he just kept trying and trying to get better, but never seemed to be able to get where HE wanted to be...(he is an amazing baseball player, I have to add) but said that when he plays football, he feels he's where he's supposed to be, that he doesn't have to TRY to be good, he just is! That was some pretty deep thinking by my son, but I got it...and I get that regardless of what his size might be, he DOMINATES on the field and I was a pretty proud mom to be out there watching him and saying that, "Yes, that's my son that just scored that touchdown!!" He just has that swagger, the build, the finesse of a football player. Let's just say I will thoroughly enjoy the off-season...'till next year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment